Saturday, June 14, 2008

Life's Little Surprises

Once in a while life catches you by surprise. It presents you with an opportunity that wakes you up from the everyday routine you have establish for yourself and challenges you to step out of your comfort zone. It challenges you to reexamine your values. On September 22, 2007, I was presented with this opportunity.

I was researching the possibility of visiting a friend in Africa for a few weeks. In doing this, I came across a game reserve called Antelope Park in Zimbabwe. What really caught my attention was their African Lion Environmental Research Trust program (ALERT). This program is the world’s first lion rehabilitation and release into the wild program. Why is this program needed? Close to 250,000 lions used to roam the African continent and the latest estimates suggest that 12,000 remain. When I read this I almost fell off my chair. The reason? Hunting, poaching, snaring, decrease in available habitat and diseases. The king of beast is the last animal I expected to be so endangered. I immediately sent in a donation but felt this was not enough.

I read more about the organization and learned about their many projects and strong community involvement. I discovered they had several community development programs such as leading literacy clubs, HIV education classes, and environmental seminars. They also have a strong partnership with the local orphanage. This sealed the deal for me. Something came over me that I can’t explain. It was a surge of a passion so overwhelming, I knew my life, my everyday routine, was about to change. A few e-mails later, I found myself accepting an opportunity to join the team at Antelope Park in Zimbabwe, Africa.

Since September 22, life has done nothing but provide positive signs that this was the right decision. This is where I am meant to be at this point in my life. Everything has fallen into place to help prepare me for this journey, even aspects that were not part of my original plan. But it could not have been done without the support of my friends and family from the West Coast to the East Coast.

After nine months of planning, I am set to begin my journey on June 24th. A journey that will now take me to Zimbabwe to work with the African lion (see weblink below)and the Midland orphanage, to trek through the juggles of Uganda and spend time with the critically endangered silver back mountain gorillas, travel overland through Tanzania's Serengeti, and finally pay a visit to my friend in Botswana. The last three months of my journey will be spent with a special non-profit organization, iKhaya LikaBaba (House of the Father for Abandoned and Orphaned Babies) in the Kingdom of Zululand, South Africa. As of now, I plan to return sometime in December; however, I purchased a one-way ticket so you never know.

I invite you to please join me on my journey. At the end of each blog entry you will be able to click on “comments” and post a reply if you wish.

Wishing you all the best… and a challenge to step out of your comfort zone!

Cheers!
Kelly

20 comments:

A dogs life in Africa said...

Hi Kelly, I found you through google alerts, sounds like quite an adventure. The decline of lions is also attributed to poisoning and we are trying to do something about it at WildlifeDirect check out our blogs on http://wildlifedirect.org - look at lion guardians, stopwildlifepoisoning and kilimanjaro lion - all of these blogs discuss the problem and what is being done in East Africa.

Kelly said...

Thank you leaving a comment on my blog. More importantly, thank you for bringing your website to my attention. I have been reading various blogs for hours. I was so sadden to learn about the severity of wildlife poisoning. I can't believe the government wouldn't support a law that would ban hotels from using insecticides. I will add this website to my blog. Keep up the great work!

CHRISTEN said...

u rock, u rock..
love you for this.. miss you much
christen

Unknown said...

Good luck - keep in touch and stay safe.

Anonymous said...

Just thinking of you last night. Travel light, be safe and have a great adventure. Can't wait to read more! Alysia

Unknown said...

Enjoy your journey, physically, emotionally and spiritually, and accomplish all the great things you're meant to do! And don't forget your hair dryer....

Stay safe.

Lots of love,
Susan

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kelly I admire your courage to explore a whole other side of the world that will only be in my life through books, movies and the Internet. Who would of thought that a girl from little old Edgemere, MD would wind up in the jungles of Africa saving lions and spending time with the little children in the African orphanages. I thank you for what you are doing and hope you find this trip a special experience - one that you will never forget. Be safe and keep in touch. I want updates, keep them coming. Karen from SPHS

Anonymous said...

You are on my prayer list now Kelly! So proud of you and wish I was with you all the way......! God Bless!

"granny" Jeanne!

Anonymous said...

Kelly, great to hear from you. Please be safe and keep us posted on your adventures. We are all very proud of you.

Lyle & Sherri

Maya Northen Augelli said...

I am incredibly jealous and would love to visit you during your 6 months if I somehow have the chance (and $$)! Can't wait to read your blog and I'll keep you posted on mine as well!

~om mani padme hum~ said...

Safe travels Kelly!!! Eric and I both envy your ability to "up and go" and we can't wait to read your blog updates and hopefully see some pictures too! We're always here if you need help or a doggie sitter (tee hee). Let us know how we can send a care package to you now and then, and how we can donate items to the group you're working with. Hugs from SoJo! Eric & Tina

Anonymous said...

KELLY I MISS YOU ALREADY. YOU ROCK. KEEP ME POSTED. MANY BLESSING, HUGS TO THE KIDS AND LIONS!! OH MY!!
CHRISTEN

Anonymous said...

Kelly, you are a brave soul and I'm proud to call you my friend! I know you're going to have a wonderful time. Be safe and enjoy!! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us in this blog.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you made it there safely. I love your first photos. Keep them coming. Miss you already and wish I was there with you.

Unknown said...

Hi Kelly!
So glad you made it there safely. I am so thrilled for you...and will be checking for posts! I look forward to following your adventure.

Love
Jean

I am going to show Ian all the animals!

Debbie said...

Hi Kelly:

I am glad to hear you had a safe trip. I've shared this site with several of your old friends at The Sun. Everyone is so proud of you, and not surprised at all of your adventure.

Stay safe and keep in touch!

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
Mark and Alysia sent on your blog to me.....it all looks too good to be true. Can't wait to hear more....We head out to Sac again in August and will miss you next door. Patty

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl! Happy to see that you've arrived safely and are truly enjoying yourself. It looks like an incredible experience....LIVE IT UP! Love the pics :)
Peace & Love,
-Heather

wildfolio said...

OMG Kelly! Girl, you and I have SO much in common! You even use the same Gandhi quote about animals that I use on my email signature block.

I read about you and your experience with Locha. You're my new hero! It's so awesome. I'm seriously interested in going to Africa in 2010 to work with the big lions and would love to talk to you via email to get any advice. Is that possible?

Keon Robertson
Austin, Tx

Kelly said...

Hi Keon, I just not read your comment on my blog. Thanks so much for your kind words. Feel free to contact me a kellyswifty@gmail.com. 2010 sounds like it is going to be your year! Cheers, Kelly