Sunday, November 2, 2008


Diving the wall and reefs off of Nemba Island were said to be the best in the Zanzibar Arcchipelago. Once I learned about the wonders that waited, I was eager to get there and experience it for myself. Although the weather remained beautiful, the winds had picked up causing the water to be a bit choppy. It is about a 30 – 40 minute boat ride from the main island when the water is still and wind calm. Knowing I was going to be on the island for awhile, I decided to wait until the conditions were more favorable for diving. After four or five days had pasted, I was beginning to get anxious. I really wanted to dive Nemba Island. Tammy, co-owner of Scuba Do, and I would track the conditions and had finally identified a day that look ideal. The next challenge would be to find a minimum of five other people to join me. You see, it is a bit of boat ride so the trip requires at least six divers and/or snorkelers. I was informed that there was one other diver interested… four more to go. Hey, I’m in sales… this will be a piece of cake. That night during sunset cocktails and dinner I had convinced my new friends who were staying at Duniani to join me as well… Travis and Dana, and Sofia and Maria. By the next morning we had a full boat and the perfect conditions for a trip to Nemba Island. The day unfolded like pages from a children’s fairytale. I have never seen a reef so vibrant and full of life. There were so many things to see. I felt like a kid in a candy store. I even find myself squealing with joy at times while underwater. We swam along the wall observing all of the treasures. When we came to the end we went to cross into an open water-way over to another patch of the reef when a giant sea turtle swam our direction. As we were enjoying the graceful swim of our new friend, we realized that we were surrounded by giant sea turtles… six in total! I’m taking in this gift from nature when I hear the most amazing sound. Off in the distance I could hear the songs of whales. Nature was providing us with the perfect background music as we watched the group of sea turtles glide by. I was so happy I wanted to cry… but I didn’t want to flood my scuba mask. After completing our two dives it was difficult to leave Nemba. We removed our scuba gear and just swam around where the boat was anchored. The water was like glass. The dives were over and I thought there was no way the day could get any better. I was wrong. It was then that close to a dozen spinning dolphins decided to join us. They were so playful and really put on a show. The whole day seem so surreal. It was on this day that I realized the magic of Zanzibar happens above, as well as below the sea.

2 comments:

Leslie Lewington said...

Kelly Im so glad to find out I'm not the only one that has found magic above and below the waters of Zanzibar....lets do our best to encourage the careful use of this wonderful natural resource.
Sincerely
Leslie from Vancouver

Unknown said...

Kelly, I am a friend of Michelle and she sent me your blog, I am so happy that you are enjoying your stay in the Motherland Africa. I am from Ghana in West Africa, I hope one day you will also visit the West coast of Africa. God Bless you. Take care. Golash from Silver Spring, USA