Sunday, April 18, 2010

Don't look up!

Uganda has over 1000 species of birds…. More than any country on the continent of Africa. I was never a “bird person” until coming to Uganda. Most birds are so unusually beautiful that they actually seem like a creation by a talented artist from Walt Disney Studios. One of the most common birds found in downtown Kampala is the Marabou Stork… locally known as Kaloori. You know the one I am speaking of… as children we are told it is the stork that delivers babies. Baby shower invitations and birth announcements will often feature beautifully illustrated pastel colored storks holding a blanket-wrapped bundle of joy. You know me, I love all animals. I’m even fond of snakes and sharks. But, after coming face to face with the real-life stork, I’m confused to why we would choose to associate this bird with child birth. This is a BIG and rather frightening looking bird. The stork is the equivalent to the American pigeon…. They are everywhere. I feel the urge to drop to the ground and cling to a large object when one flies overhead…. At the very least take cover in fear of what might drop from its massive body. I’m sure car wash owners are a big fan of the stork. Don’t get me wrong… I like this prehistoric looking, slightly intimidating bird. I just think we should reconsider its association with child birth. Why not the Turocco, Shoebill or my personal favorite, the Crested Crane. What do you think?


1 comment:

Kristyn said...

Glad to see you back in action - Enjoy