Sunday, April 11, 2010

They call me "Mzungu"

I can remember the first time I was called “Mzungu”. It was during my first visit to Uganda in August of 2008. I was staying in Kabalagala, a small town just on the outskirts of Kampala. I would often walk the streets to visit the local market, internet café, restaurants or the offices of Great Lakes Safaris and would see the same friendly faces. While shopping in the market, I caught the eye of one local resident. His eyes wide with surprise and a smile stretching from ear to ear he says, “Mzungu, You are welcome!” Within days, everyone was calling me “Mzungu”. After my 3rd week in Uganda, a local actually said to me, “Mzungu, you are Ugandan now!” I was touched believing I had been given a special nick-name chosen just for me. What does it mean, you ask? “White person”. Its how many Ugandans address us, well… white people. It is not said in a derogatory manner, but with warmth and affection.

Uganda has the reputation of being the “friendliest country in Africa”. I would have to say I agree. During my stroll around town today I was greeted with smiles and “hellos” from everyone I passed. It truly is a “happy place”.

As Sunday comes to an end, I am looking forward to seeing my friends and business associates tomorrow.

1 comment:

~om mani padme hum~ said...

we just love the opening picture - all those fruits and the smiles on those women's faces... awesome!