Sunday, July 6, 2008

Intro to Riding in the Bush


We’ve all gone, or at least had the opportunity to go horseback riding while on vacation. It’s usually one of those activities that you see while in the Caribbean or on a mountain retreat. As soon as you arrive a poor, old horse is brought up to you all saddled-up and ready, a saddle that has been on him for several hours because you’re the eleventh tourist to hop on his back. You’re put into a single file line and slowly walk along until the agreed upon time is over. I’ve enjoyed myself in the past, which is until I met Amanda, Antelope Park’s assistant stable manager and all around horse expert. I realized Amanda’s sincere passion for horses as soon as I met her on my first day at AP.

Three of us spent the morning with Amanda getting to know the 27+ horses and a brief bio. Some of the horses were brought to the park by farmers who had their land taken away or burn to the ground by the government. One of the many challenges AP is currently facing is the lack of food for the horses. The horses have not been fed in three days. They are currently being allowed to roam the park all night and at certain times during the day to graze, but they are in need of protein. This is something that is currently not available in Zimbabwe and the government will not allow to be imported into the country. Apparently they have located a farmer who has some sort of protein that can be mixed with molasses and will be able to feed the horses 1/3 of what they are suppose to eat a day for three weeks. Very sad situation.

After our intro, we were taught grooming… very therapeutic for both the groomer and the horse. Then came saddling-up the horse. I was using an African bush saddle (there is a proper name which I will need to get from Amanda). It’s basically a leather toilet seat. Doesn’t sound comfortable, but trust me… it is. I prefer it to the hard English saddle.

I was to put my trust and faith into hands, or should I say “hooves” of Jacko. So far we seemed to be getting along well. I climbed up on the saddle and we headed to the ring for our first, well my first, proper ridding lesson.

Amanda whipped us all straight into shape… “heels down, put them in line with your hips, hips in line with your shoulders, back straight but don’t arch it too much”. I felt like I should be wearing a tweed blazer, knee high leather boots and a braid in my hair. Amanda knows her stuff.

After lunch it was time for the real deal, a certified African safari bush ride. Amazing! Because the horses roam the park, the game are use having them around. When we approach them, all they see are the horses, not us. We were able to get up close to impala, wilder beast, zebra, vermin monkeys and antelope. What an unbelievable experience. Just riding through the bush and looking across the horizon was so peaceful and relaxing.

Couldn’t relax too long as we had a chance to practice our trotting. We needed to hurry back to take the cubs on their afternoon walk. It is their nine month birthday which means we begin a two week long process of capturing data on their behavior.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kelly:

Thank you for sharing your African Journey! My name is Kim and I'm excited about my trip to AP in September, even more so since I've been reading your blog.

Yesterday I thought, "hmmmm...maybe I SHOULDN'T read it...I might ruin the surprise...but alas, curiosity reigned supreme and here I am leaving you a note!

One question: How is the bug situation??? I've been known to have severe reactions to mosquitos, no-see-ums and the like and was just wondering what to expect.

Well...back to dreaming of Africa! Thanx again for sharing your stories with us...keep'em comin'!

Kim

Anonymous said...

HEY KELLY,,SOUNDS FUN, NO ELECTIC THOU, DID YOU TAKE A LATERN?
DID ANYONE GET A HOLD OF GRANDMOTHER, I WILL IF NEED TO, WHAT HER NUMBER?
WOW,,WONDERFUL READING!! ENJOY.IM STILL IN MARYLAND,GOING "DOWN THE OCEAN HUN" TOMORROW. STEPH LEAVES FOR THE CONGO TOMORROW!!
YOU CRAZY GIRLS!!
MISS YOU MUCH
CHRIS

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim, Sorry it's taken me awhile to reply. I've been out at the phase II site, Dollar block and there is no internet access. Don't worry, reading this blog will not ruin the surprise, hopefully it will help prepare you for I know will be an amazing experience. Now it is winter and there are no mosquitos. Sometimes in the evenings you will see some around the lake. If you have severe reactions, I would suggest bringing a good repellent. Don't hesitate ask any other questions. I look forward to them!