Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Chindu Island


July 24, 2008
Mr. Conlley, owner of Antelope Park, purchased land on an island in the middle of the Zambezi just outside of Vic Falls. The name is Chindu Island and he is planning to build a five star resort on the property next year. In the meantime our little road trip group had an opportunity to camp on the island. I use the word “camp” very loosely. You see, we were served our dinner that evening on china. Get the picture? We drove through the national park for about forty minutes passing all kinds of game. My favorite… a herd of seven giraffe including a baby who could just about fit under its mom’s legs. Our van or min-bus as they are called was pulling a small trailer that held our luggage and some supplies for the island. The roads through the park were more holes than road. One item I did not bring on this journey that I wish I would have is a good support bra. We were only the second group from Antelope Park to stay at Chindu Island and our instructions were to follow the main “road” to the end and wait for the boat to pick us up. Several “ends to the road” were identified. The road completely disappears. Our driver, guardian, and friend Aaron takes the mini-bus, trailer in tow, all through the bush chasing off a herd of kudu to reach the edge of the water. Somehow we manage to find our “parking spot” and a bass-fishing-type-boat zips across to retrieve its skeptical quests. All skepticism disappears as we approach the shore. Steps are built into the white beach hill and are lit with candles to lead our way. On the landing I notice a fire ring… with a bamboo bar! I’m going to like it here! Our tents are spacious and cots comfy. There are even flushing toilets and showers in their own tented enclosure. After a sunset cruise and a dinner Rachael Ray would approve , we gather around the fire before retiring to our waterfront accommodations. I chicken out on taking a shower as I keep having visions of the baboons grubby little hands (that was for your Baz) reaching under the shower tent and grabbing my feet. I’m put to sleep that evening by the songs of the hippos…. directly outside of my tent. We wake early and are taken out for a sunrise cruise. Who needs a five star resort? I like Mr. Connelly’s property just the way it is now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly,

If National Geographic calls can I be your agent? Your pictures are amazing and your stories captivating. I can't wait till the next "Kelly Adventure."

Safe travels, Sista Cindy.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have just returned from a two week stay at the lion breeding project in Vic Falls and have really enjoyed reading your blog on my return! Your comment about a support bra made me giggle so much as I made exactly the same comment to a fellow volunteer out there!
Its also nice to hear about Sango and Swahili before they came to Vic falls. I hope the rest of your travels go smoothly, Katie Fletcher