Thursday, August 21, 2008

Settling into Uganda


WOW… the difference between Uganda and Zimbabwe could not be more different. I could notice this before the plane even landed. The land here in Uganda is very green, lush and tropical. There is also a more upbeat and positive vibe in the air. Driving from the airport, the first shops I see are “Smiley’s Bakery and Coffee Shop” and “Tickle and Giggles Restaurant and Bar”. How can you not feel happy? Then we pass a giant truck load of pineapple. I’m going to like it here! As we continue our drive, the streets become energized with stall after stall of everything to suit your needs. You can get your hair braided in one, then go next door and get your groove on to Reggae. Don’t like Reggae? One shop down there is techno playing so loud the speakers are blown, but that doesn’t stop the few people in the 10x10 stall from dancing. After a little dancing, hit the next stall and pick-up a chicken for dinner. You can get it all done on the streets of Uganda. I’m staying in Kabalagala, which is just outside of Kampala. When the taxi driver turns off the main road to take me to the Inn where I’ll be staying, I become a bit concerned when it’s blocked by a steer with the longest, sharpest horns I have ever seen. I mean, this is still the city. The Inn appears to be behind a row of shops on the main street mixed in with some very underdeveloped shacks and a mix of farm animals. I begin to miss my small room with a twin bed and concrete floor at Antelope Park. There at the end of the dirt road appears a glowing bamboo gate with a thatched over-hang. The taxi driver beeps, the gates open and there they are… my Ugandan family, waiting anxiously for my arrival. Betty, the Inn manager, greets me with a hug and tells me, “You are most welcome!” She explains that she was getting worried because she was expecting me sooner. I look around and the gardens are well groomed. There is an open-air restaurant and bar, spotless clean and charming run by chief, Herbert. I’m shown to my room on the upper level and I’m very pleased.
It’s my first night having to sleep under a mosquito net. There is something romantic about sleeping under a mosquito net… until you get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and forget it’s there. After a victorious battle with the mosquito net, I rise the next morning eager to explore my new surroundings. My second battle, well assumed battle, is with the giant prehistoric bird that swoops past my head as I exit my room. I later find out that this intimidating bird is a stork. Certainly doesn’t resemble the maternal image portrayed on baby shower announcements in America. After a fantastic breakfast prepared by my new friend and cook Herbert, whom I’m looking forward to introducing you to in another posting, I head up to Great Lake Safari to confirm the details for my upcoming gorilla trekking expedition. While there, I decide to book a day of white rafting on Nile… after all, I am an official member of the Zambezi swim team. Bring on The Nile! Let’s just hope my next posting doesn’t come Egypt.

1 comment:

EMMLP said...

Kelly, your descriptions really make Uganda seem almost real from this distance. Maybe you can have your own travel show. I'm glad Maya forwarded this to me.