Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Road to Bwindi National Park


Great Lakes Safari had arranged a driver to pick me up at the Inn. When the driver, Aaron, informs me that the drive to Bwindi National Park will take about 10 hours I almost die. I’m not very good with sitting still that long. He says, “We’ll have fun!” I think to myself, “Fun? What does he have in mind? The licenses plate game? Punching each other every time we see a VW bug?” As we begin our drive, Aaron gives me a rundown of the drive. We will be stopping at the Equator, (huh?) then for lunch, then soon after we will lose the tarmac (say what?), and continue our journey through some small villages until we reach the park. Actually, it doesn’t sound too bad. When we arrive to the equator it has “tourist trap” written all over it. There is a line painted across the road with a giant ring off to the side. On top of the ring is a sign that reads, “Equator”. Yeah, right. Like that’s the exact spot where the equator is. Well, to prove that it really is the exact line of the equator, a gentleman provides me with a little demonstration. On the North side of the line he places a funnel. He fills the funnel with water and places a flower at the top. As the water drains out of the funnel, the flower circles to the left. He moves the funnel one foot over the equator line on the South side, performs the same demonstration and the water and flower drain and circle to the right. Then he puts the funnel dead even on the center of equator line. Any guess to what happens? The water and the flower drain straight down the middle, no circle motion what so ever. I’m impressed. This really is the exact location of the equator. So, I decide this is worthy of the cheesy touristy photo of me standing on the equator line.

After a few more hours of driving and a fantastic, traditional Ugandan lunch, we begin to lose the tarmac. This is when the joy ride really begins. Children from everywhere are running to get as close as they can to the truck to wave and shout, “Hello” to the “Muzungu” (white person). We are on a dirt road that very seldom sees a vehicle. One little boy screams as loud as he can, “HOW ARE YOU?”, and then smiles at his accomplishment. Aaron and I both laugh. Aaron was right; I am having a great time.

No comments: