Monday, August 4, 2008

Victoria Falls



July 22nd
After an overnight stay at camp Miombo near Hwange National Park, we hit the road around 7:30am and head for Victoria Falls. The journey takes about two hours. When we are about 30 kilometers away, the powerful spray from the falls can be seen in the distance. Our excitement builds. As soon as we arrive to the lodge, we throw our bags in our rooms and pile back in the van to head to the falls. From the lodge we can hear the thunder calling us. The charge is $20 to enter the park and hike around to several viewing points. Here we are at one of the Seven Wonders of the World and there is no line to get in. As we walk through the park and approach the first view point, we only pass a dozen or so visitors. We turn the corner of the path and I lose my breath. It is even larger than I imagined. The sheer force of the water creates such a thundering sound you can feel it vibrate inside your body. For a moment I can’t move. I just stare in complete fascination. Selfishly, when I begin taking photos I’m thankful that there are not hundreds of tourists competing for the same memory that I’m trying to capture. A few view points along the path I can see the Zambia side of the Falls…. limited view and hundreds of tourists crammed in trying to take photographs. Fools. Their intimidation and ignorance of Zimbabwe has allowed me to have a more personalized experience. One I will cherish for the rest of my life.
On a more adventurous note, I was so energized by the power of the falls that I decided to white water raft down the Zambezi. THE #1 most challenging rafting destinations in the world. Our group hit about 20 rapids in about four hours. To raft the entire Zambezi takes three days. Our guide said most people drop out on day one. Did our raft capsize? Hell, yeah. I am now an official member of the Zambezi swim team… and proud of it! Nyumi Nyumi (Zambezi River God) was with me and I safely completed the trip. I bought the DVD (a friend of mine from Australia is making a copy and sending it to my house) and the capsizing is caught on film. Am I turning into an adrenaline junking? All I know is I am looking forward to the Nile in Uganda.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly!! I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your blogs, keep them coming. Experiences like these are changing your life. Oh, your tenents arrived on Friday. Very nice people that will take good care of your house. They are excited and like the neighborhood, and the construction next door is "almost" finished. Keep safe and keep swimming! The Castro Way Crew.

Anonymous said...

hey sista!! So happy to read about your adventure again!! sooo awesome!
just getting ready to finish up two more weeks of summer for the kids!!! yipeee
volleyball tryouts start tonight!
michaels playing football!!
im headed to pheonix for a long weekend!! wish you much love
love ya
christen