Friday, August 15, 2008

Farewell Zimbabwe

Knowing I wouldn’t have the secure umbrella and excursion planning skills of the expert team at Antelope Park, I knew it was in my best interest to arrive in Uganda a good week prior to my gorilla tracking safari just to get my bearings on my new environment. Saying “Goodbye” to the friends I had made in Zimbabwe was not easy. I was leaving knowing I may never see them again, but also feeling very concerned about their future. I had more than a connection to the country, I had a connection to the animals which I care so much about, but more importantly, the people who I now care very much for.
I thank all of you for challenging me on my decision to not only go to Zimbabwe, but to spend such a long period of time in a country stricken with such poverty and political instability. Your concern for my safety and wellbeing truly meant a lot to me. Please know that going to Zim was not just about petting the cute lions. Believe it or not, this can be done in several countries. It was about being part of the ALERT team and volunteering at an orphanage IN Zimbabwe. There are so many countries, especially in Africa, that need volunteers. I couldn’t think of children anywhere needing help and love more at this time than in a country where a self proclaimed president was prohibiting this act of kindness and support. Before leaving California I had a conversation with a colleague, Pia from The Sacramento Bee’s Editorial Board. She was giving me some great advice, “whatever you do, don’t share your political views once you’re in Zimbabwe”. I assured her that that was not my objective or my business. As my friend Aaron was driving me to the airport in Harare, he purposely drove me passed the home of President Robert Mugabe. I felt such a rage of anger. I wanted to jump on the roof of the van and demand he come out and listen to what I had to say. I wanted to force him to look at the pictures of the children in the orphanage that receive NO support from his government. I wanted to inform him that hundreds of children are turned away from the orphanage each month due to lack of availability. I wanted to show him pictures of how Virginia’s family and most of the children don’t have shoes and the ones that do don’t fit. I wanted to show him a picture of my friend who works on the cleaning staff and her sweet baby boy, Julius who is ill and tell him how she can’t afford his doctor bill and medication… $20. I wanted to tell him about the lion handlers who show up for work every day even though their salary doesn’t cover their cost of living due to the out of control inflation rate. They usually rely on tips from tourist to help get by but the tourist have stop coming. I want to tell him about the abandon cottages at the once world renowned Hwange National Park and how all but one of the watering holes are now empty... YOU’RE KILLING YOUR WILD GAME! I no longer want to have a conversation with this man; I wanted a go at him. I became convinced that I can take him. After all, he’s 85 and short. If I can somehow get him alone, I’m pretty sure I can take him. Instead, I took a deep breath and watched the compound pass by feeling defeated, unable to do anything. I hated that feeling. Although I couldn’t remove Mugabe and fix all of Zimbabwe’s problems, I am trying to accept that I made a small difference. My Grandmother’s neighbor, Mrs. Sigler kindly gave me some money and ask that I help others in need, so I paid for baby Julius’ doctor bill. With the contributions from the Nordberg and Deliondardo families we managed to smuggle-in two large duffels of clothing to the orphanage. I also made small donations to several members of the staff, none of which ask for a penny. I went to the orphanage every opportunity I had to help out. Mainly to just hold and play with the children who never receive this sort of attention. What I’ve noticed about my new friends from Zimbabwe is they have been kicked hard and they are worn down. You can tell when you talk to them that some are at the end of their rope. The best thing I felt I could do is be positive and give them hope. I would speak with strong confidence, as if I knew something they didn’t, of how I was certain that positive change is coming very soon to Zimbabwe.
If there is one think I want all of you to know about Zimbabwe is there was never one time that I felt unsafe. And, it is a beautiful country with loving and caring people. People who care about the decline of the African lion and are working effortlessly to reverse the situation; People that greet you with smiles and hugs each day even though they don’t know if they’ll be able to pay their bills or feed their families; People who shed a tear when it comes time for you to leave. These are the people hidden behind the headlines of the media. I will sometimes hear people say, “I wouldn’t go to Zimbabwe and support that backwards government”. Forget the government, who really suffers in a statement like that are the people.
Farewell Zimbabwe. Thank you for the life lessons, new friends, hope for the future, memories and amazing experiences I will cherish for the rest of my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a brilliant blog. I spent 2 months at Antelope Park in Christmas 2004 with my girlfriend. We had the best time and still talk regularly about the people we met and the experiences we had. It is great to hear that it is still enrapturing people. Anna and I hand reared Achilles, Ashanti, Athena, Apollo and Athena for their first 2 months. AMAZING!!