Sunday, August 24, 2008

My Ugandan Family


Except when I am trekking in the jungle, I have been staying at this wonderful small Inn on the outskirts of Kampala. From the moment I arrived, everyone on the staff has treated me like family. I have become really good friends with Herbert, the chef.

Herbert, a.k.a. Hatangimana, is from Rwanda. He and his family fled to Uganda during the genocide in 1995. He has one sister, Linda who is 13, and four brothers who range in ages 10 – 27. Herbert is 25. After their escape from Rwanda a few months had pasted. His parents were told by the government it was safe to return. They told Herbert and his siblings to stay in Uganda until they contacted them. His parents along with his oldest brother, ended up being slaughter upon their return. I immediately had visions of scenes from “Hotel Rwanda”, “Shooting Dogs”, and a documentary I watched on the genocide. Herbert and his siblings became orphans in a foreign country. Herbert was 17 at the time, but was left to care for his brothers, one as young as two, and his sister Linda who was only five. I couldn’t believe I was having a conversation with someone who escaped and parents were murdered in this evil act of discriminatory violence. The conversation caught me completely off guard. I didn’t expect to have a conversation like this in Uganda. Now that I think about it, the countries do border and there are probably many refugees. Through many conversations with Herbert, and me asking many questions (for those of you who know me well, know I am not shy when it comes to asking questions), I learn of his struggles to pay for Linda’s school fees. In Uganda, and most African countries, education is not free. It’s not expensive according to American standards but for a family that can barely but food on the table, education can become a luxury. Linda has been attending what is known as a Mission or Catholic school. It is also a boarding school which is good because this insures she is fed and has a secure place to sleep. The new term begins in September and runs through December. The cost? $189. I decide I want to sponsor Linda’s education through graduation. She is bright, smart and eager to learn. English is her favorite subject.
I am looking forward to keeping in-touch with both Linda and Herbert. I know I have made friends for life.

No comments: